There was a question in Quora recently about who are the policy wonks who have considerable influence in India. This made me come up with a list of people who, in my opinion should be the ones deciding India’s policy.
Intellectuals who I wish would wield more influence than they currently do would be as follows –
- – Previously the chief economist of IMF and currently the chief economic advisor to the PM of India and the author of the book “Fault Lines: How Hidden Fractures still Threaten the World Economy”
- – I don’t think he needs an introduction, at least not in the cyber circles. The wiki article describes how awesome he is.
- Nitin Pai – He is a graduate of Singapore’s Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy from where he obtained a Master in Public Administration degree. Currently director and founder of , an independent think-tank. He blogs and tweets about public policy and India’s geopolitical interests. He blogs at and tweets at . He is also the editor of the magazine
- – Economics professor in Columbia University and the author of the book “India – The Emerging Giant” along with Jagadish Bhagwati.
- – Economics professor in Columbia University
- – A professor of strategic studies at the Center for Policy Research in New Delhi, blogs at
- Pratap Bhanu Mehta – President of Center for Policy Research, New Delhi and tweets @
- Atanu Dey – Economics professor in University of California Berkeley and blogs at
- Bibek Debroy – Indian economist and a professor in Center for Policy Research, New Delhi and tweets @