Answer by Anirudh Acharya:
Often referred to as the “Metro Man”, he is one of the most diligent and hard working man to have served India. There are certain circles which have recommended his name for the Bharat Ratna, and deservedly so. His achievements:
- Reconstruction of the Pamban bridge: Pamban bridge connecting Rameshwaram and Tamil Nadu was washed away partly by a cyclone in 1964. He had a deadline of completing it in 3 months, but he finished it in 46 days. This is how the bridge looked after reconstruction.
- Kolkata Metro: Planning and design of Kolkata metro, the first ever metro in India.
- Cochin shipyard and Rani Padmini: He took charge of the Cochin shipyard and built the first indigenous merchant vessel, Rani Padmini.
- Konkan Railways: He came back from his retirement to take charge of the Konkan railway construction. Konkan railways was a very challenging project for the sheer terrain that had to be tamed, and our hero managed it in just 7 years.
- Delhi Metro: He was the Managing Director of the Delhi Metro project, and has a huge stake in the impeccable execution of the project and punctuality of the metro trains.
Also read this brilliant article on why E. Sreedharan is so awesome –
Narendra Modi and Gujrat Government: